visa approved

To study in Thailand, international students require a non-immigrant education visa or ‘non-immigrant ED visa’. With a non-immigrant ED visa, students can apply for a Thai driving license, open bank accounts, and buy Thai health insurance.

The student visa is a 1-year multiple entry visa valid for 3-month period per entry. Students need to report to their local immigration office every 90 days in order to extend the length of stay to cover the full period of study.

Required Documents:

  1. A letter of acceptance from the MAPS program
  2. Visa application form
  3. Passport with at least 6 months’ validity
  4. Two recent 4 x 6 cm full-face photos
  5. Evidence of adequate finances as stated by the Royal Thai Embassy

People of all nationalities can apply either from their home country or in Thailand. However, students from Bangladesh, China, India, Iran, Sri-Lanka, and some Middle Eastern countries must apply from their country of origin. Therefore, we recommend you to apply for a visa at any Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate before coming to Thailand.

Extension of Period of Stay

There are two ways to extend your legal period of stay beyond the first 90 days. If you have a single-entry visa, you must apply for an extension at the Immigration Office on Soi Suan Plu, Sathorn Road. You will need to bring 1,900 baht (rate as of December 2014), your passport and a letter from Thammasat University stating the period of your study. This letter, provided by your program coordinator, may take approximately 1-2 weeks to process, so begin the process several weeks before your immigration stamp expires. If you have a multiple-entry visa, you can do the same thing so that your period of stay can be extended to the end of your studies, BUT your “multiple-entry” status will be replaced by “single-entry” status. The longest period of stay permitted is usually one year.

Alternatively, you can leave and return to Thailand before each 90-day period is over, without having to apply for a re-entry permit.

Leaving and Re-Entering the Country

If you are planning to take several trips outside Thailand, it is advisable to apply for a re-entry permit, especially for those who hold a single-entry visa. There are also two types of re-entry permit:

Single Re-Entry Permit

  • Good for one return only
  • Does not extend your period of stay but maintains the original date on the immigration stamp that you receive upon first arrival
  • You must apply for a new re-entry permit before every trips
  • 1,900 baht

Multiple Re-Entry Permit

  • Suitable for those who will be travelling in and out of the country often
  • Does not extend your period of stay but maintains the original date on the immigration stamp that you receive upon the first arrival
  • Allows multiple re-entries
  • Has an expiry date which is usually not more than one year after your first arrival
  • 3,800 baht

Note for Frequent Travelers
The best option for frequent travelers is to apply for a multiple re-entry permit after you have arrived in Thailand, so that you won’t have to worry about getting a re-entry permit every time you take a trip. With a single-entry visa, however, the only way to extend your period of stay is to apply for an extension, not by leaving and returning to the country.

For more information, please contact

  1. Office of International Affairs, Thammasat University
  2. Ministry of Foreign Affairs